Heading into Week 5, the college football injury news this week included two Texas-based teams losing their starting quarterbacks long-term; a top Big Ten running back who is uncertain for this week and another who is expected to miss the rest of the season; and a top MAC wide receiver who left the game early last week.
In addition, Auburn and Oregon will be missing RBs for a while, but Arkansas could be getting a top RB back.
In starting QB news, what seems to stand out this season as compared to years past is how many teams still have not settled on a QB starter based upon questions about performance, even as the season gets close to a mid-point. Last week alone there were at least eight teams who played more than one QB in their games as they seek to find consistency. None of those situations appear to be resolved yet. But one team that did come to a resolution is Arkansas State, which appears to have found its QB of the future.
Below you’ll find the QB situations to be watching for as well as notable running back, wide receiver and tight end player injury news to keep an eye on for this week’s games.
Please note that this post may be continually updated through early Saturday morning.
Key Players to Watch
Texas A&M QB Conner Weigman is expected to miss the rest of the season with a foot injury suffered in last weekend’s game. So far in 2023 Weigman had completed 68.9 percent of his passes for 979 yards and 8 touchdowns, while also rushing for 62 yards and two TDs. He will be replaced by Max Johnson against Arkansas this week, a former LSU transfer. During his time at LSU Johnson threw for 3884 yards and 35 TDs across two seasons, then in the last season-plus for the Aggies has thrown for 743 yards and 0 TDs. A tough loss for A&M, but they have a very experienced backup ready to step in.
Minnesota RB Darius Taylor was having a huge game last week, rushing for 198 yards for two TDs against Northwestern. Then, late in the fourth quarter he appeared to grab at his leg. He did not play during the overtime period. The team essentially did not offer an injury update, deferring to the Big Ten pregame injury reports which are released. On the season Taylor has rushed for 532 yards (third in the nation) and four TDs. If Taylor is unavailable to play this week against Louisiana then Sean Tyler (30/136-0 on the season) and Bryce Williams (11/30-0 on the season in two games) would be called upon to carry the load.
Texas Tech QB Tyler Shough will have surgery for a broken fibula, and is expected to miss six to eight weeks. Shough began his career with two seasons at Oregon, but has unfortunately been injury-prone at Texas Tech. He’s never played in more than seven games in any of the past three seasons. He did, though, pass for 2,922 yards and 22 TDs across those three campaigns to date. He had also rushed for 149 yards and two TDs in 2023. The new starter against Houston this week will be Behren Morton, who has 1,347 yards passing along with 10 TDs and seven interceptions over the past three seasons.
The following are teams that have not announced starters for this week, or situations where the starter could be impacted by injury concerns. Where “OR” is shown it represents a co-starter situation on the team’s depth chart for this week.
- Appalachian State – Joey Aguilar remains listed as the starter, Ryan Burger is still not listed (hand)
- Arizona – Jayden de Laura (ankle), if not then Noah Fifita
- Arizona State – Trenton Bourguet (ankle) is expected to start with injuries to Drew Pyne & Jaden Rashada.
- Arkansas State – Jaylen Raynor started last week and is now listed as the starter.
- Baylor – Blake Shapen (knee) OR Sawyer Robertson
- Bowling Green – Connor Bazelak started last week OR Camden Orth (cleared from conc. protocol)
- Cal – Ben Finley OR Sam Jackson, Finley started last week and played more snaps but both played.
- Central Florida – Timmy McClain will start again with John Rhys Plumlee still out (leg)
- Central Michigan – Bert Emanuel OR Jase Bauer, Emanuel started last week but Bauer played the majority.
- Charlotte – Jalon Jones OR Trexler Ivey, both played again last week with Jones playing more
- East Carolina – Alex Flinn started again last week over Mason Garcia, both played
- Eastern Michigan – Austin Smith remains listed as the starter, Ike Udengwu also played a good amount last game
- Louisiana-Monroe – Jiya Wright will start again with Hunter Herring out (collarbone)
- Louisiana Tech (Friday) – Hank Bachmeier (shoulder), if not then Jack Turner will start again
- Missouri – Brady Cook (knee), if not then Sam Horn
- Nebraska – Jeff Sims (ankle) OR Henrich Haarberg, both could play.
- Northern Illinois – Rocky Lombardi remains listed as the starter but Ethan Hampton played more last week, the team said they were evaluating who would start this week
- Old Dominion – Grant Wilson remains listed as the starter, Jack Shields played more last week
- PItt – Phil Jurkovec (undisclosed), if not then Christian Veilleux
- Rice – JT Daniels (lower body), if not then AJ Padgett
- Stanford – Ashton Daniels or Justin Lamson, Daniels started but both played again last week
- Tennessee – Joe Milton (knee), if not then Nico Iamaleava
- Texas A&M – Conner Weigman is out for the season (foot), Max Johnson will start
- Texas Tech – Behren Morton will start with Tyler Shough out (broken leg)
- Toledo – Dequan Finn (shoulder) OR Tucker Gleason
- UMass – Taisun Phommachanh (lower body) OR Carlos Davis (abdominal), if not then Ahmad Haston
- UNLV – Doug Brumfield (undisclosed) OR Jayden Maiava
- Utah (Friday) – Cameron Rising (knee), if not then Nate Johnson again
- UTEP (Friday) – Gavin Hardison (arm), if not then Kevin Hurley or Jake McNamara
- Vanderbilt – AJ Swann (elbow), if not then Ken Seals
- Virginia – Tony Muskett is expected back (shoulder), if not then Anthony Colandrea, both could play.
- Virginia Tech – Grant Wells (ankle) OR Kyron Drones who started last week
- West Virginia – Garrett Greene (ankle), if not then Nicco Marchiol will start again
- Western Michigan – Treyson Bourguet started last week, remains listed with an OR with Jack Salopek
College Football Injury News
New and/or notable injuries and statuses for skill position players are listed here, for long-term/season-long injuries or for others you may not see listed visit the Unabated CFB news page to search by player or team.
- Hank Bachmeier, Louisiana Tech (Friday) – Questionable (shoulder), was going to be evaluated in practice this week after not playing last game.
- Trenton Bourguet, Arizona State – Probable (ankle)
- Doug Brumfield, UNLV – Questionable (undisclosed)
- Ryan Burger, App State – Out (hand), will miss 3-4 weeks.
- Brady Cook, Missouri – Probable (knee), had been listed as questionable but Pete Thamel reports he will play.
- JT Daniels, Rice – Questionable (lower body)
- Carlos Davis, UMass – Questionable (abdominal)
- Jayden de Laura, Arizona – Questionable (ankle), may be a gameday decision, Pete Thamel reports that Noah Fifita is likely to start.
- Dequan Finn, Toledo – Gametime decision (shoulder), will be evaluated in pregame warmups.
- Garrett Greene, West Virginia – Probable (ankle), Brett McMurphy reports that he will return and start.
- Gavin Hardison, UTEP (Friday) – Gametime Decision (arm), did not practice on Monday with arm in a sleeve.
- Hunter Herring, Louisiana-Monroe – Out (collarbone), week to week.
- Phil Jurkovec, Pitt – Probable (undisclosed), Pete Thamel reports he is expected to start.
- Joe Milton, Tennessee – Probable (knee)
- Tony Muskett, Virginia – Probable (shoulder), expected back and to start this week.
- Camden Orth, Bowling Green – Probable (head), has been cleared.
- Taisun Phommachanh, UMass – Questionable (lower body), a Friday report said he could return this week.
- John Rhys Plumlee, UCF – Out (leg), will be out a few weeks.
- Drew Pyne, Arizona State – Out (three injuries)
- Jaden Rashada, Arizona State – Out (undisclosed), expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
- Cameron Rising, Utah (Friday) – Questionable (knee), warmed up but then did not dress last week.
- Blake Shapen, Baylor – Probable (knee), called day-to-day to begin the week, but Matt Zenitz reports he is expected back Saturday.
- Tyler Shough, Texas Tech – Out (leg), 6-8 weeks.
- AJ Swann, Vanderbilt – Questionable/Gametime Decision (elbow), limited in practice this week.
- Grant Wells, Virginia Tech – Questionable (ankle), still appeared limited this week, but was more active.
- Ben Wooldridge, Louisiana – Out (foot), will miss 4-6 weeks
- Damari Alston, Auburn – Out (dislocated shoulder), will be “out for a period of time”.
- DeCarlos Brooks, Arizona State – Doubtful (undisclosed), listed as injured on the depth chart again.
- Owen Burk, Air Force – Questionable (undisclosed), was dressed but DNP last week for undisclosed reasons.
- Ashton Hayes, Nevada – Out (knee), will be out indefinitely with a week 4 injury.
- George Holani, Boise State – Questionable (undisclosed), has been unavailable the past three games.
- DeVontae Houston, UConn – reported to be redshirting the rest of this season and will enter the portal.
- JaQuinden Jackson, Utah (Friday) – Questionable (ankle), left the game last weekend and did not return.
- Kaleb Johnson, Iowa – Out (ankle), will be out again this week.
- Kobe Johnson, Colorado State – Questionable (back), called day to day.
- LJ Johnson, SMU – Gametime Decision (ankle), called optimistic to return this week.
- Reggie Love, Illinois – Probable (ankle), was able to practice on Wednesday.
- Jo’quavious Marks, Mississippi State – Probable (lower body), was being monitored this week after leaving the game last week, with a report that he is believed to be available.
- Chez Mellusi, Wisconsin – Out for the Season (leg), team is off this week.
- Avery Morrow, Colorado State – Out (knee), will miss a few weeks with an MCL injury.
- Cartevious Norton, Iowa State – Probable (shoulder)
- Aidan Robbins, BYU (Friday) – Out (undisclosed), expected to miss a few more weeks.
- Raheim Sanders, Arkansas – Probable (knee), practiced more fully this week, Matt Zenitz reports he will play.
- Dontae Smith, Georgia Tech – Probable (undisclosed), described as back to full speed.
- Darius Taylor, Minnesota – Out (leg), missed OT last week with a 4th quarter leg injury, listed out in pregame.
- Mike Washington, Buffalo – Questionable (knee), was dressed but limited in practice early in the week.
- Jalen White, Georgia Southern – Questionable (ankle), did not play last week.
- Michael Wiley, Arizona – Gametime decision (lower leg)
- Noah Whittington, Oregon – Out (lower body), expected to be out a while.
- Jaylen Wright, Tennessee – Probable (undisclosed), called a GTD but Matt Zenitz reports he will play.
Wide Receivers and Tight Ends
- Dominick Blaylock, Georgia Tech – Questionable (undisclosed), called day to day after DNP last weekend.
- Ahmarean Brown, South Carolina – Probable (hamstring), practiced and expected this week.
- Luther Burden, Missouri – Probable (undisclosed), had been listed as questionable but Pete Thamel reports he will play.
- Taj Davis, Cal – Questionable (undisclosed), called day-to-day.
- Kody Epps, BYU (Friday) – Questionable (undisclosed), was called a GTD last week and did not play.
- TE Brady Hunt, Ball State – Questionable (ankle)
- Isaiah Jones, Syracuse – Out (undisclosed), facing an extended absence.
- Travis Hunter, Colorado – Out (liver), expected to miss 3 weeks.
- Ramel Keyton, Tennessee – Probable (undisclosed), called a GTD but Matt Zenitz reports he will play.
- Chase Lane, Georgia Tech – Doubtful (lower body), only available in an emergency again.
- Gage Larvadain, Miami Ohio – Questionable (undisclosed), status was not known at the start of the week.
- Ladd McConkey, Georgia – Questionable (back), remains limited in practice.
- Jalen McMillan, Washington – GTD (undisclosed), optimistic to return after being held out last week.
- Nik McMillan, Buffalo – Questionable (upper body), observed with his arm in a sling at practice on Tuesday.
- Tyrin Smith, UTEP (Friday) – Probable (undisclosed), expected back this week after missing last game.
- Jayden Thomas, Notre Dame – Questionable/Doubtful (hamstring), has not practiced this week.
- Noah Thomas, Texas A&M – Probable (undisclosed), expected back after not dressing in week 4.
- Lincoln Victor, Washington State – Out (ankle), expected to miss a couple weeks (off this week).
- Xavier Weaver, Colorado – Probable (lower body)
- Antwane Wells, South Carolina – Out (foot), will miss another week.
- Antonio Williams, Clemson – Questionable (ankle), called day-to-day several times this week.
- Eugene Wilson, Florida – Probable (collarbone), not on the injury report this week, listed as a starter.
Reminder: the college football injury news information on this list relies upon reputable reporters and sites rather than rumors or sources inside and around programs. When there is strong speculation about an update but it has not been confirmed by verified sources, that is noted (this will be rare).
We strive to provide the most accurate and timely college football injury news and other information possible, but updates should be considered unofficial unless officially released by the team. Some teams and coaches do intentionally withhold information or provide comments with the intent to mislead.
The information provided here is as accurate as possible leading up to the time this is published, but for up-to-the-second college football injury news, player updates and position battles, become a Premium member today. For news on a 15-minute delay, check out the College Football News page, or follow us at @Unabated_CFB on Twitter. Find out more about Unabated College Football and the benefits of becoming a Premium member.